Check out my delicious, vegan portobello mushroom fajita taco recipe. It’s packed with flavors and is perfect for a weeknight when you don’t have that much time! It’s tried and true – I’ve been cooking this for 10 years now! See below for the recipe!
If you try one of my recipes, I would love if you could tag it on Instagram or FB @chivegfood!
Vegan Portobello Mushroom Fajita Taco Recipe
Portobello Mushroom Marinade
- 2 large portobello mushrooms or 3 medium-sized portobello mushroom caps
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 lime (for lime juice)
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp Hungarian paprika
- 2 garlic cloves (I use 3 but I love garlic)
- 1 package regular seitan
- 2 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium red onion (sliced long and thin (about 1 inch))
- 1 poblano pepper (sliced long and thin (about 3/4 of an inch))
- 1-2 serrano peppers (Only use 1 if you're not too into spicy food)
- 2 Adobo chilis from a can (Save the sauce)
- 3 cloves of garlic (finely diced)
- salt/pepper to taste
- 2 tsp red pepper
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp Tajin
- 1 green onion (chopped)
- 1 handful cilantro (loosely chopped)
- 1 package corn tortillas
- vegan or dairy cheese of your choice (I use Violife's vegan cheddar)
- Chop your mushrooms in long slices and dice your garlic.
- In the meantime, start preparing your seitan! Empty it out of the package and start chopping it into larger bite sized chunks.
- While your seitan is browning. Chop your onion, peppers, additional garlic, and garnish.
- Then add your poblano peppers and sauté for 2 minutes. Then add your garlic, Serrano peppers and adobo chilis with about 1-2 tsp of the sauce depending on how spicy you like it.
- Once the peppers start to brown, add your spices and sauté for about 1 more minute. Turn your heat to medium low and add your mushrooms with some of the marinade (if you want it to be less moist, then don’t add the marinade).
- Sauté for about 5 minutes, the mushrooms will start to shrink. In the meantime, you can start heating up your tortillas. I heat mine up on the stove in a pan on medium heat and 1-2 minutes on each side.
- When your fajitas are ready, thrown in the crispy seitan, garnish with cilantro and green onions and add them to your tortilla.
- If you top them with vegan cheese, you might want to pop your tacos in the microwave for about 20 seconds to melt the cheese since vegan cheese is harder to melt.
- Enjoy your tasty fajitas! Sprinkle with the rest of your lime juice!
- If you can’t find portobello mushrooms then use 1lb of baby bella mushrooms instead.
- I am a paprika nut, so I use Bende for Hungarian paprika and Penzeys for Smoked Spanish Paprika.
- I usually use more spices than what I put in the recipe but I know not everyone is as in love with spices as I am.
Check these recipes here for more ideas!