See below for the vegan tempeh reuben recipe!
When I ate meat, I never liked reubens because I hated corned beef/pastrami. But when I became vegetarian, I started enjoying veggie reubens because they were made with super savory, moist plant-based proteins like seitan and tempeh.
I love Chicago Diner’s Radical Reuben, but when I was living far away from Chicago, I missed it dearly and wanted to make an homage reuben so I came up with this Vegan Tempeh Reuben recipe to fulfill your vegan reuben cravings. Since I started making this sandwich, vegan cheese has vastly improved so you can get that gooey cheese in the middle of a robust sandwich.
If you try one of my recipes, I would love if you could tag it on Instagram or FB @chivegfood!
Vegan Tempeh Reuben Recipe
- 8 oz tempeh (sliced in half, then in fourths so 8 pieces total)
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil (olive oil is fine)
- 1 tbsp tamari/soy sauce
- 4 slices rye bread (I didn't have rye bread so I just used wheat bread)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 red onion (sliced into thin strips that are about 1-2 inches long)
- 1 tbsp garlic (I usually add more because I love garlic)
- 2 cups sauerkraut (drained)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika (I usually add 2-3 tsp)
- 1 tsp caraway seed
- salt/pepper to taste
- 4 slices of smoked vegan gouda or regular swiss cheese (I haven't found a good vegan swiss yet but Violife and Follow Your Heart have amazing vegan gouda)
Vegan Thousand Island
- 2 tbsp dijon island
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp tamari/soy sauce
- 2-3 dashes hot sauce (I prefer Cholula)
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp banana peppers (finely minced, adds a nice tang)
- 1 tsp fresh dill (dried is fine)
- Preheat oven to 375. Chop your tempeh in half and cut each half into 4 slices, yielding 8 slices total.
- Sauté your sauerkraut mix for about 3 minutes and add salt/pepper. While your veggies are sautéing, make your vegan Thousand Island.
- Now it’s time to assemble your tempeh reubens! Lay a piece of foil on your baking sheet that covers it in its entirety. Put your 4 slices of bread on the foil and put your vegan thousand island on all slices of the bread.
- Put your tempeh on 2 slices of bread (about 4 slices on each piece). On the other two slices, put your sauerkraut/onion mixture and top with your vegan/dairy cheese choice.
- Put your reubens in the oven and bake for about 10-15 minutes, then broil for about 3-5 minutes. Take it out of the oven and assemble your sandwich slices together and cut into half.
- Rye bread is ideal for this but if you don’t have it, do not fret! As long as you have a darker bread, that will work.
- There are vegan mayo based thousand island recipes but I don’t like mayo so why imitate it?
- I usually add a bit more spice to this so if you like spicy food, add more paprika!
- Oven times may vary so keep an eye on the reuben after 10 minutes.
Hungry for more? Check out more recipes here!