Vegan – check out my vegan potato chorizo tacos recipe
One of my favorite tacos in Chicago is the potato poblano taco from Antique Taco. It’s super flavorful, unique with its crispy textures, sauces, and extremely satisfying. I was also inspired by the crispy pan-fried potatoes my mom makes and wanted to enjoy them in taco form. I decided to do a vegan version with plant-based chorizo and a homemade chipotle vegan aioli. See below for my Vegan Potato Chorizo Tacos Recipe. If you try making any of these recipes, I would love if you could tag it on Instagram or FB @chivegfood!
Vegan Potato Chorizo Tacos Recipe
- 8 oz white potatoes (diced - 1 inch pieces)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- salt/pepper to taste
Vegan Chorizo-Veggie Mixture
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8-12 oz seitan or soy chorizo (Upton's for seitan and Trader Joe's for soy )
- 1/2 golden onion (diced)
- 1 poblano pepper (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tsp Hungarian paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 4-6 tbsp vegan mayo
- 2 tbsp garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp chipotle adobo peppers with sauce (canned ones are amazing)
- 1 tsp smoked Hungarian Paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 4-6 corn tortillas
- 1 handful cilantro (loosely chopped for garnish)
- 2 stalks green onions (diced)
- Boil water for potatoes, once the water is ready, add your potatoes and boil for 20 minutes (test for tenderness at 20 minutes). While your potatoes are boiling, you can chop your veggies.
- Drain your potatoes, then when they’re cool enough, dice the potatoes into 1-inch pieces and chop the rest of your veggies.
- In a medium pan, heat up your olive oil on medium heat, then add your potatoes, sauté them for 5 minutes, then add your garlic and spices.
Vegan Chorizo and Veggies
- Pour about 1/2 cup of water in the pan, cover with a lid, and simmer for 10 minutes. When the potatoes are softer, mash them a bit so they become flatter and sauté for 7-10 more minutes till they reach your desired crispiness. Sauté to taste.
- In a medium pan, heat up 2 tbsp of olive oil, then add your onion and sauté them for 3 minutes, then add your pepper and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Add your garlic, veggie chorizo, and spices, then sauté for 3-5 minutes. Garnish with half of your cilantro.
- Prepare your vegan mayo. You can mix in chipotle adobo peppers/sauce, smoked paprika, and chili powder into your vegan mayo.
- Assemble your tacos, first put your potatoes in the tortilla, top with the chorizo veggie mixture, and then top with your vegan chipotle mayo. Sprinkle your cilantro and green onion garnish on top.
- If you don’t have the soy or seitan chorizo, the tacos are quite satisfactory with the potatoes. When you’re making the potatoes, you can cook them with the onion, poblano peppers, and garlic.
- For seitan chorizo, I recommend Upton’s and for soy chorizo, I recommend Trader Joe’s.
- Top this with salsa and guacamole instead of vegan mayo.
- Want more spice? Add in 1-2 jalapeño peppers at the end of your vegetable sautéing step. Pickled jalapeños work as well.
- I love using Minimalist Baker’s vegan mayo recipe and then adding garlic, lemon, chipotle peppers, and spices to it. It lasts for about 2 weeks and you can add it in other dishes you make.
Hungry for more taco recipes? See them here.