Vegan Tofu Casserole Recipe: See below!
Thanksgiving and many other holidays can be very meat-centric, but it doesn’t have to be! I have been making this Vegan Tofu Casserole Recipe for 10 years now and I bring it to every Thanksgiving, Friendsgiving, and Holiday party. It is always well-received and devoured by family and friends. It’s a great source of protein and has soooo much flavor! It also looks super appetizing in a glass casserole dish since you can see all of its layers.
If you try one of my recipes, I would love if you could tag it on Instagram or FB @chivegfood!
Tofu Stuffing Casserole Recipe
- 1 pound of extra firm tofu (drained)
- 1 container of stuffing (Trader Joe’s has a decent vegetarian one)
- 1/4 cup of buffalo sauce
- 2 tbsp of hot sauce
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 golden onion (chopped)
- 3 large cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 yellow or red pepper (chopped)
- 2 green onions (chopped)
- 1 container of Baby Bella mushrooms (chopped)
- 3 tbsp of fresh dill
- 2 tbsp of paprika (smoked is preferable)
- 2 tsp of pepper
- 1 tsp of rosemary
- 1 tbsp of salt
- 1 tsp of red pepper
- 1 tsp of cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp of thyme
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 16 oz of vegetarian broth
- 1/4 c of Tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tsp of white vinegar
- 2 tbsp of dijon mustard (Grey Poupon)
- 2 tbsp of flour
- 2 tbsp of unsweetened oat milk (Almond or soy work as well but just keep in mind that oat milk is thicker and creamier.)
- 3/4 c of smoked gouda or vegan cheese (optional - Follow Your Heart/Violife Cheddar/Mozzarella are the best for vegan cheese)
- Prepare the stuffing per the directions on the box. Drain the tofu for at least 1 hour before. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. While the tofu is draining, chop the vegetables so they are ready to be sautéed later!
- For the sauce, add the olive oil to a separate pan on medium heat. Add in a small piece of the onion.
- Once the onion piece is sizzling, you can add in the rest of the onions on medium heat and when they’re golden brown you can add in the peppers and mushrooms.
- Stir fry the vegetables for about 3-4 minutes making sure that everything is golden brown.
- Add in the garlic and most of the dill, sauté for about 1 minute, then add all of the spices.
- Stir the almond milk and flour and turn the heat on very low for about 15-20 minutes to simmer until the sauce is properly thickened.
- Taste the sauce, make sure it is flavorful, add in most of the green onions, and turn off the heat. In an oven-proof casserole dish, pour in the tofu, spread it around the casserole dish so it covers the entire bottom of the dish.
- Then add the sauce and stir it with the tofu so it is evenly distributed. Then add the stuffing on top of the sauce and tofu, distribute evenly so it is covering the sauce and tofu.
- If you're using dairy cheese you can just keep it on the regular 350 heat and bake for 5 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Garnish with fresh green onion and dill when you're ready to serve it!
Interested in more recipes with tofu? Check them out here!